1.Behaviors that are not statistically typical of American sexual behaviors are referred to as sexual:
2.The one common trait among all people with paraphilia is:
A. disconnection from a loving, consensual relationship with another adult.
B. a preference for sexual relations with children rather than with adults.
C. that they enjoy inflicting pain on others.
D. a preference for same-sex partners.
3.Which of the following is a pseudoscientific term?
D. autoerotic asphyxia
4.Which of these is NOT a form of domination and submission?
A. bondage and discipline
5.Gene and Joan find domination and submission to be sexually arousing. We would expect that what is fundamental to their sexual activity is:
A. inflicting pain on each other.
B. the dominator inflicting pain on the submissive.
C. the illusion of control played out in their sexual scenes.
D. the control that the dominator has over the submissive.
6.Fetishism is defined by:
A. sexual attraction to objects.
B. obsessive sexual fantasies.
C. sexual addiction.
D. ritualistic sexual behavior.
7. Geoffrey can only become sexually aroused if he dresses in his wife’s bra and panties. Geoffrey is a:
C. transgendered individual.
8.Sexual pleasure derived from contact with urine is known as:
9.Which of the following is considered a coercive paraphilia?
A. domination and submission
10.Anika is studying human sexuality. In answer to her question, “How do you differentiate coercive from noncoercive paraphilias?” you correctly respond:
A. “Individuals engaging in coercive paraphilias are older.”
B. “Coercive paraphilias involve victimization and cause harm to others.”
C. “Coercive paraphilias involve more than one other person.”
D. “Individuals who initiate coercive paraphilias are usually men, while those who initiate noncoercive paraphilias are usually women.”
11.What distinguishes voyeurism from more commonplace forms of viewing sexual activity?
A. using mirrors to view sexual activity
B. videotaping and viewing couples having sex
C. the secretive nature of the viewing
D. being able to rub against the nonconsenting victim
12.Cole has recurrent intense sexual urges and sexually arousing fantasies of sexual activity with prepubescent children. He fondles his victims’ genitals, but he does not have intercourse with them. Cole would be diagnosed as a:
B. child abuser.
C. child sexual abuser.
D. child molester.
13.Which statement concerning same-sex pedophilia is NOT correct?
A. The pedophiles’ desire feels “natural” to them.
B. Pedophiles find children appealing because the children are gentle and truthful.
C. Pedophiles characterize the relationship as romantic love rather than casual sex.
D. Most same-sex pedophiles are homosexuals.
14. Women are most likely to engage in which of the paraphilias?
15. Autoerotic asphyxia is:
A. caused by obsessive masturbation.
B. an atypical nonparaphilic behavior.
C. a sadistic practice of masturbating while strangling a victim.
D. caused by trying to cut off oxygen to the brain during masturbation to height arousal and orgasm.
1. Variant sexual behavior refers to any nonreproductive sexual activity.
2. People with a paraphilia may engage in sexual activities other than the paraphilic behavior.
3. Nymphomania is a serious form of paraphilia.
4. The amount of pain inflicted in domination and submission is controlled by the submissive partner.
5. Most fetishes and partialisms cause harm to others.
6. Exhibitionists usually only expose themselves to strangers or near strangers.
7. True zoophilia occurs only when animals are the preferred sexual contact regardless of other sexual outlets being available.
8. The recommended way for responding to an obscene telephone call is to act shocked and angry.
9. Pedophilia is the same thing as child molestation.
10. Most rapes are committed by sexual sadists.